How to develop your take-out and delivery meal business while limiting your ecological impact? Discover our favored packaging, of vegetable origin and biodegradable or recyclable!
Sign of times but also the survival of a profession, the market of Meals to deliver or take away was estimated at about 3.3 MD € and increased by 20% in 2020 *. The forecasts report a doubling of this market by 2022, reaching € 7 billion.
Given this very strong growth, it is more than ever essential to offer traders and consumers of Eco-responsible food packaging For the activities of Take away sales and delivery.
Take-away sales and home deliveries: fast-growing markets
Between March and October 2020, the share of Take away sales has doubled in classic restoration (at table): 35% of total visits against 17% before.
On the side of the fast food, the takeaway, which represented two-thirds of the orders before the first containment of March 2020, reached 85% over the same period.
For the Classic restoration (at the table), the home delivery made it possible to avoid the total closure of the institutions. The delivered orders that accounted for only 1% of the activity before March 2020 increased to 8% between March and October 2020, and the trend continues its progression.
An expansion not frankly eco-friendly ...
If it has become practical to order its meals in a few clicks, we forget alas sometimes what it implies in terms of waste: plastic boxes, cutlery, bags, the volume increases inexorably. “In 2019, more than 200 million meals that have been delivered, generating more than 600 million single-use packaging that completed in our garbage cans,” explains the Ministry of the Ecological Transition, recalling that “this” market is growing constantly, 20% per year.
In July 2020, then Secretary of State to the ecological transition, Ms. Brown Poirson brought together the actors of home meal delivery (restaurants, delivery companies and packaging suppliers, etc.) and asked them to elaborate. a “Zero waste strategy” This resulted in a charter with among the main objectives:
- Reduce containers and plastic packaging for single use. This is to “reach 50% of the packaging delivered without plastic for single use by January 1, 2022 and 70% by January 1, 2023”.
- Banish the most complex plastics resins to recycle from July 2021 and reach 100% recyclable containers and packaging in January 2022. Similarly, it provides for client awareness measures, such as improving the visibility of restaurants that are committed to reducing the environmental impact of their packaging.
Eco-friendly food packaging solutions
The restaurants of the catering are now confronted with a real challenge: How to satisfy the clientele in terms of packaging while respecting environmental issues?
This concern has revolutionized the packaging of the meals carried away and delivered which turns more and more towards the alternatives in Natural and biodegradable materials :
- the cardboard and the Kraft paper For hot drinks, hot dishes, salads, bags.
- The bagasse For hot dishes, burgers, sauces.
- the Placity For cold dishes, cold drinks, cutlery, straws.
- the wood and the bamboo For accessories: cutlery, plates.
However, if these new rules can constitute for some short-term constraint, they are also a way to stand out and improve your brand image. Highlight its commitment to the preservation of the environment by limiting its ecological footprint and the proliferation of waste is a strong message. It is already a criterion of choice for many consumers, always more sensitive to the eco-responsible nature of their purchases.
* Source :